Friday, February 24, 2012

A DOG'S PLEA by Beth Norman Harris

Treat me kindly,
my beloved friend,
for no heart in all the world
is more grateful for the kindness
than the loving heart of me.




Do no break my spirit with a stick,
for though I might lick your hand between blows,
your patience and understanding
will quickly teach me the things
you would have me learn.


Speak to me often,
for your voice is the world's sweetest music,
as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail
when the sound of your footstep falls
upon my waiting ear.



Please take me inside when it is cold and wet,
for I am a domesticated animal,
no longer accustomed to bitter elements.
I ask no greater glory than the privilege
of sitting at your feet
beside the hearth.



Keep my pan filled with fresh water,
for I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst.




Feed me clean food that I might stay well,
to romp and play and do your bidding,
to walk by your side and stand ready,
willing and able to protect you with my life,
should your life be in danger.

And my friend, when I am very old,
and I no longer enjoy good health,
hearing and sight,
do not make heroic efforts to keep me going.
I am not having any fun.




Please see that my trusting life is taken gently.
I shall leave this Earth knowing
with the last breath I draw that my fate
was always safest in your hands.

In memory of our
sweet Java Bean
and all of our furieds
who have crossed
The Rainbow Bridge.

XOXO
Lilly, Piper, Carrleigh and Ivy

19 comments:

WFT Nobby said...

Oh that brought tears to my eyes. What a lovely, heartfelt poem.
Gail.

Miss Jean said...

My friend's Scottie, Connor just crossed over the Rainbow Bridge. Sad day, indeed!

rottrover said...

Beautiful post. Thank you.

-Bart and Ruby's publicist

The Life of Riley said...

A lovely post.

Patty ♣ said...

Through leaky eyes....beautifully said...♥

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

That's beautiful. Makin' us a bit leaky here.

XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

Ziggy Stardust said...

Beautiful!!

Loveys Sasha

Dexter said...

That is always a bittersweet poem to read. One does try to give our beloved pets all the love they deserve. Little Java Bean was truly loved.

Mango Momma

Molly the Airedale said...

We are crying right along with you, Miss Lynn. You'll never be forgotten, Java.

Love ya lots,
Mitch

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Such a beautiful poem. And a very nice tribute to Java.

Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

LacyKnitsDaily said...

Every time I have come across this beautiful verse, it brings me upright and thoughtful of our responsibility to our loving pets.

May we always be mindful that we are guardians and protectors.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

What a beautiful and touching post, Lynn. I wish those things for each and every dog...I'm also remembering Java this morning and Cowboy too and how with their loss almost 2 years ago, our friendship began.

How Sam Sees It said...

Oh that got me teary eyed this morning! Beautiful!

Sam

anitamombanita said...

So sweet. So true. Tears in my eyes.

The Strawberry Mallard said...

I have seen this before.it still makes me cry.....Love an..d Hugs, NEBS

Scooter said...

what a neat poem and so true. We know that you still miss Java bean and he was prety special.

We tagged you on our blog!!

wags
Snazzi

Hoke said...

OHHHH the doggie tears are running down my hairs!!!

Anonymous said...

OH... miss you Java Bean! Say hi to BoBo for Us!

Aroo, Stuart

Unknown said...

what a great surprise, you have many cool stuff, I saw your mom, you make her giggle at you :)


Dog Shock Collar | Paw Planet

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Carrleigh

Piper

Ivy

Celti

Bonnie